Celebrate International Dot Day with 577
The Dot, written by Peter H. Reynolds, tells the story of Vashti as she unleashes her creative spirit and embarks on a journey of self-discovery. Vashti is sitting in art class, unsure where to start and lacking the courage to make a mark on the blank page. Finally, Vashti makes a small dot to prove she doesn’t have the artistic talent, but doing so actually sparks a creative revolution within her. As Vashti gains confidence and continues to express herself through these little marks, she becomes a source of inspiration for others.
International Dot Day is an annual celebration of Peter. H Reynolds’s work and the message it relays. Published on September 15, Reynolds holds Dot Day on this day each year and encourages the public to participate in creative endeavors. Classrooms and community organizations have celebrated this day since the book’s publication in 2003, but we also encourage you to participate at home or wherever you can. There are tons of festivities and activities you can do to support Dot Day and Vashti’s message.
Interested in participating in Dot Day this year? Here are a few ideas:
- Read The Dot and share its message! 577’s September StoryWalk® book is The Dot, so be sure to walk the trail and read about Vashti’s artistic journey
- Grab your art supplies and make some dots! Use crayons, colored pencils, chalk, paints, and anything else you can find to make beautiful dots. You could even use buttons, ribbon, pipe cleaners, and any other craft materials.
- If you’re a teacher, take some time out of the school day to read The Dot to your students, and maybe follow with an activity. You could have each student make a dot, cut them out, and hang them all up on your classroom wall to showcase the expression and creativity of your students.
- Register for a free educator’s handbook at https://www.internationaldotday.org/register
- Download free posters at https://www.internationaldotday.org/posters
- Share your creations and celebrations with us on social media @577foundation on Facebook and Instagram!
Special Dot Day Event at 577:
Friday, September 15, 2023: International Dot Day
- What? Walk the StoryWalk trail with 577’s Program Intern, Avery, as we read The Dot and talk about creativity and art!
- Where? Meet near the ceramic dome “Terra Vitis” ceramic dome
- When? 4 pm on Friday, September 15
*This event is free and open to all!
For more information and Dot Day resources, check out https://www.internationaldotday.org/.